Monday, June 20, 2005

Frank Herbert's Dune Series

You guys gotta check this out...

This series is actually something that is definately personal and close to my heart... LOTR is also another series that is close to my heart... I've read through the LOTR even before they made the movies... LOTR is one of my daddy's favourite series of all time... and he suggested that I read through the series... I read the book using my father's copy - all worn out but well-thumbed... That was how I got hooked up with the science fiction series...

Anyway, I guess by now everyone is hooked up with the LOTR. I mean anyone who is a bookworm will have either read the books or saw the movies (which did not vary that much from the books). After reading the LOTR, Daddy suggested that I read Frank Herbert's Dune. From then onwards, I was a Frank Herbert's fan...

The stories apparently, even though, it was written in the early 50s, tells us about the drug abuse and how it affected those around them. You wouldn't get that implication unless you are aware of the conditions during that period of time... However in the books, they would mention it as spices and how adictive it can be. It's a areally futuristic story, written in the 50s with a lot of sci-fi moves and storyline... It's really amazing how advanced the imagination and creative thinking of the writeers then.

The story revolves around a boy, Paul Atreides, who has this special powers, and is somehow or rather known as The One. They move on to a planet in outer space, which is sorta like a sand desert... and gets to know some local sand people. The way of life in the desert is definately different from how things were on his own planet... The beat of movement must not be rhythematic, but inconsistent. Cause, if it is consistent, there are sandworms to be aware off. IT also tells about the addiction and power conflict between different Houses - meaning different political parties... House of Sarkonen, House of Atreides...

The fanatical sisterhood of the Bene Geserit is also a force that no one wants to reckon with... They know how to use their Voice to subdue people, their movements are to a minimal yet lethal... They have the knowledge of thousands women before them... and women are of power here! Hello people!! Woohoo!! :) [ Just kidding.. but it's interesting to read how they manipulate and managed men... it just shows that women are built tougher than others and that women are good at management and manipulation too ~ at times!!]

Paul Atreides is somehow The One and it goes against what the Bene Geserit has planned... The One is a MAN!! Muahahahahaha... Anyway, I'll advise you to read this, cause I don't want to tell it all... The stories goes on to his grandchildren... The fight for Planet Arakis...

To sum things up, here is the novel that will be forever considered a triumph of the imagination. Set on the desert planet Arrakis, Dune is the story of the boy Paul Atreides [the actor who acted as Paul Atreides boleh tahan laa... not bad], who would become the mysterious man known as Muad’Dib [I've always thot that there were some Islamic elements in the story]. He would avenge the traitorous plot against his noble family—and would bring to fruition humankind’s most ancient and unattainable dream [which is truning a desert-like planet full of luch greenery and grass and water that is easily available!]. This is definately a stunning blend of adventure and mysticism, environmentalism and politics, Dune formed the basis of what is undoubtedly the grandest epic in science fiction.

Anyway, the series are Dune, Dune Messiah, Children of Dune, God Emperor of Dune and Heretics of Dune.

Try and read Dune.. I know you guys'll get hooked with the series...

Soraya ;)

5 comments:

~The Urban Factor~ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~The Urban Factor~ said...

I've got to say here that before the LOTR movie was made, I wasn't into this fantasy things that much...but the movie had a made huge impact on my taste on books. The trilogy was and IS still THE BEST ever-made in the world!Though the books are a bit dull la Mickey...too complicated and tooo tedious...Tolkien was too detailed with it(but i still read it though).However, if u love fantasy stories...u just can't miss these series : The Wheel of Time. So far dah ada 11 books but i've only read up to the 5th. I'm sure u'd get hooked up as i did. Anyway...nanti la i update bout this book k....

Ayu Ikhwani said...

*too opened-mouth to say anything at first*

Waaaaahhh.. sgt kagum! Soraya, you READ THE WHOLE SERIES OF LOTR??? Me, so mesmerized with the film version forked out more than RM100 to buy the whole series, I was a proud owner of the books until I started reading them --> *snore*

To be frank, I've never gotten outa the first book anyway! (Except sneak peaks at the books before the film was due hehe..)Waaaaaaaaaaaaayy to boring for me, gimme the film version anytime.. whoa-hooo! But then, salutes for you!! You're the 2nd living being I've ever known who has finished the book.

About this series, if you have the books, the next time I go to Penang, I'm heading your way before Baizurah :-p

Soraya said...

I guess it was because my dad used to read The Hobbit to me... and he even got me a child's version... The Hobbit is actually the prelude to LOTR. So, I was hooked with the series from before..

Yeah yeah.. the whole series was quite heavy reading material... but at least it proved to be useful. I mean it was one of the chatting topic I had with my dad, before he passed away... :(

I guess it was the time when we bonded really well... not just father daughter, but really really bonded... and my father tau la kan.. very the busy man! So, I'm really happy at least I've got this memories with him!

Ayu Ikhwani said...

Soraya.. your dad was a GREAT man.. just look at yourself, a chip off the block! I'm glad that I got the chance to know him as Uncle Ahyaudin