Sunday, June 12, 2005

Angels & Demons

Title : Angels & Demons
Author: Dan Browns

As a frequent 'visitor' to Popular bookstores in Penang and Ipoh, I've noticed the book The Da Vinci Code. Though it had great ratings, I never bothered to even flip through the book. I guess, because the title seemed like a long lost Renaissance era-type story, THAT part of it scared me away. I've never really been a fan of arts and I'd be embarrassed if anyone asked me anything about it.. I'll feel soooo stupid la!

Anyway, suprise²! I found out I had a junior who loves books too. Pojie was the one who prompted me to start reading Dan Brown's books. He had already read a few books by this author and I could tell that he was impressed. A good (or bad.. depending on your point of view) thing about an engineer is that we're always curious. This curiosity was what pushed me to borrow this a book form him. He recommended Angels and Demons, the prequel for the Da Vinci code hehe.. at least this title didn't have any Ninja Turtle names in it!

Since I didn't have the time to really sit down and read, I had to 'curi²' read this book during my free time. At the time, I was busy with my work, tuition and a motivational programme held here in USM but once I had the chance to REALLY read the book, I was instantly hooked.

This is the type of book that makes you THINK.. not really light reading, but amazingly, it was still relaxing though you could have your adrenaline going crazy in some of the chapters. For 3 straight nights, I had dreams about this book since I only had time to read it before going to bed.. but WOW!

It narrates about this Harvard symbologist, Robert Langdon. Awaken from his sleep one morning by an urgent phone call, he was suddenly thrust into this amazing.. gosh! I don't even have the right word for it!!!

He was taken to this scientific research centre called CERN. A scientist, Leonardo Vetra, had been killed the night before and his chest was branded with the word 'Illuminati'. This scientist was on the verge of an amazing discovery, that he claims could show the connection between religion and science. He hoped to bridge the gap between these two as according to this book, science and religion are like oil and water.

As for the Illuminati, it was the name of a group that was formed centuries ago by scientists who had the pure intention to combine science and religion. This is a true fact, according to the arthor, with membership of the group that includes famous artist Bernini and scientist (God! I've suddenly forgotten his name!!!). However, due to the closed minds of the church, this group was considered dangerous thus, banned. Some scientists were captured and prisoned, tortured too! This raged the group, making it in the end, an anti-religion group.

Langdon, as well as Vittoria Vetra (Vetra's daughter) went to Vatican to solve the mystery of the murder as well as to find the missing antimatter, which is by-product of the research Vetra Sr was doing with his daughter. This antimatter is a dangerous unstable substance that could endanger the Vatican city if not found in an allocated time.

Unbelievably, the whole book tells you what happened in just a few hours of time, but I guarantee, you won't be able to put the book down once you're engrossed in it. You'd be amazed at the brands which are displayed in this book with the words Illuminati and the four main elements of science (before the JADUAL BERKALA la hehe..) earth, wind, air and water. These word were written in such a way, that you'd see the same thing eventhough it is upside down, talk of pure genius! I read the book while tilting it upside down, just to prove the point.

Though some people might find it a bit heavy, what with astonishing facts and historical events recalled in this book. But it'll leave you in wonder and amazement, and ooooo, the satisfaction of reading it is just undescribable!

I just finished this book and I wish it was longer. I just can't get enough of it, very interesting!

I'm ready for THe Da Vinci Code though.. here we go!!

3 comments:

~The Urban Factor~ said...

saya pon sama la...though i know that The Da Vincci Code is a hit,tapi still tak rasa2 the "pull" to read it...tapi since awak kata the other Dan Brown's books are nice...bole la nak cuba...Ha!!Smalam masa kat popular saya terjumpa this 1 book that i've set my mind to purchase once i get my commission claim this month...hehehe...buku tu title "Magyk",baru ada Book One...nampak macam SANGAT MENARIK!ala2 harry potter...tapi taktau la best ka tak...

Ayu Ikhwani said...

Hehe.. baca² Baizurah.. pastu promote la kat saya

~The Urban Factor~ said...

ala ayu...buku magyk tu macam budak2 sangat la..saya baca sket la...tapi taktau la kot best.TAPI coevr dia sangat menarik...tho' orang kata dun judge a book by it's cover, saya dapat gaji nanti nak beli gak!cover cntik nak simpan!hahahahaha