Monday, January 06, 2014

Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweetshop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan

(Image Googled.. not that good of a photographer haha..!)
I must have had my expectations a bit too high!

I'd seen this book almost everywhere, which is why I finally bought it. However, I did put off reading it for almost a year.

It is quite a relaxing read though not the can't-put-down type. I took a week to finish this book, and not for the lack of time to read. Its just that with so many bookstores promoting this book, I was convinced I had a gem in my hands.. instead it was just a normal won't-hate-but-not-declaring-love-either kinda book

I love the narration, though. Very well thought out and you don't need to imagine much to find yourself right in the middle of the story. The alternation between Lilian's memories and the present was also nice, and not too overwhelming as some books tend to be nowadays.

But ooohhh, I especially love the snippets of Lilian's book at the beginning of each chapter. The recipes 'she' provided also made me imagine I could whip up my own batch of candies (had the laziness not set in!).

And yes, the idea of an old fashioned sweet shop would make any ol' romantic smile right through the end of the book. The setting was nice enough.. in a quaint village, ol fashoined in a sense. Gave out a nice picture in your head about the surroundings so thats a plus there.. BUT, the story, though not that much predictable but not much to shout about too..

Still.. It was nice while it lasted. I'd give three stars maybe..?!

No comments: