Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Death Sculptor by Chris Carter


My third Chris Carter book.. and am hungry for more!

"Good job you didn't turn on the lights"

I didn't think much of those words (written on the back of the book) until I came to the part where it's meaning was revealed.. ooohhhh, goosebumps!! And not to mention how fast my heart was racing when the significance of those words sunk in. Just made me clutch my book tighter to read on.. after making sure every other light in the house was switched off (and making up my mind to not switch them on no matter what noise I hear in the night!)

I said this before, and I'm saying this again.. I'm having a full blown crush on Chris Carter books. This book didn't disappoint me. I had bought this book months before but had a hard time not to rush into reading them, and it was worth the wait =)

My only complaint is the cliffhangerS (minor mostly, but still..) at the end of almost every chapter. But then again, it won't be a Chris Carter book without that, huh!

This time I think I'm getting to know Hunter's partner, Garcia, a bit more, physically (I never could imagine him in my head while reading before). Maybe its only me, but I feel as if the other books focus too much on Hunter (well, he IS supposed to be the main character anyway), sidelining Garcia.

The description, as usual, was vivid enough to help the imagination throughout the book and Captain Blake is still my most favourite captain in the world, as long as I don't have to work with her. =D Alice's role was also refreshing, having a female on the immediate task force, but having two geniuses (instead of only Hunter) around gave me a headache. It doesn't help that I agree with Garcia when he said he felt dumb having both of them around.. when I have such a soft spot for good ol' NORMAL Garcia.

Ohh.. one thing helped me get over my 'crush' a bit though. "Cos YOU'RE time is about to run out" I was never quite the grammer police, but this teeny weeny mistake has at least put my feet on a much firmer ground so I won't be too much head over heels with him :p

_____________________________________________

That was my review on Goodreads. In here, I'll of course add a little more =D

I bought this book months ago. Had to have it pre-ordered since my usual book 'provider' didn't have it in stock and then I had to wait a few months for it. Even when I got it, I didn't immediately rush into reading it as I wanted to save it for much later.. when the need for a psychological thriller would be at its peak muahahahahaahaa *evil laugh while thunder and lightning rolls all around the perfectly darkened sky*

It did not disappoint me!!

Even the first chapter made me shiver with those words I'd typed earlier

"Good job you didn't turn on the lights"

How sick is that? To have the killer taunting you, making sure you knew he/she was IN THE ROOM when you went in earlier. Then to see how crazy the killer is, and how he tortured his victim.. I'd need therapy for years if it happened to me especially knowing how the book got its title..

..by having the killer 'sculptor' the victims body parts to make a statement!

And not just once!

Not for the faint of heart. The description is VERY vivid that no imagination is required. You'd feel you tummy squirm up just by reading those chapters.

Since I've read his previous books, I tried to look deeper into each chapter, to see what clues I'd find but still the ending wasn't something I had imagined. I had to look back and go through the chapters (after I finished the book) to find all those clues. that were oh-so-subtle, I had missed! Can't believe I did then when I had prepared myself for all possibilities.

I already love the usual characters in the book so, unlike what I wrote in Goodreads, I actually don't like Alice that much haha.. Aside from the too-many-genuises excuse I gave, I also don't like that because of her, Garcia seems like the fifth wheel in the team (well, more like the third but you get what I mean). And she does seem to try too hard to show her worth, making it seem like she's forcing herself on the team..

..or maybe I'm just jealous!

Still, Alice aside, I had a hard time getting used to my surroundings after I finished the book. To me, its THAT good. Left me thinking about the case even while I cooked/bathed/etc. Wish there were more of his books here..

Bravo to Chris Carter.. you are now definitely on my radar!

No comments: