Monday, September 19, 2005

Are You Afraid of The Dark

Title : Are you afraid of the Dark
Author: Sidney Sheldon

Okay.. I know some of you might be thinking, "Why on earth has she chosen to review this book?" Haha, I know, somehow, Sidney Sheldon has made a name for himself for his predictable outcomes. All his books (nearly all la..) are based around women, sometimes je men. About their lives and how their lives change after 'something' happens. Don't forget his personal touch of conspirations and government secrets and voila! You get a classic Sidney Sheldon book.

Not that his books aren't interesting. I especially like 'the Rage of Angels' and have a tattered copy at home, but, well, all his other books are just typical, right? However, I seem to have this attachment to him, somehow. Maybe its because his book was the first adult fiction I read (when I was in primary school, mind you!). Haha, still remember how shocked I was to learn that adult scenes are permissible to be written on paper. Mama was so suprised seeing me with that book (The Other Side of Midnight, I think), that she must've panicked when she took the book away from me and told me that this book is not suitable for my age. C'mon la, I found the book on the floor in our library anyway, and she DOES know that I'll read anything I get my hands on! Heheh.. so long ago lah..

Anyway, this book, like his previous books, revolves around two newly widowed woman whose life was so different, they never guessed they had this connection between them. Their husbands died in two separate murders that looked like suicide, leaving them wondering if they had done anything that lead to the suicidal feeling their seemingly normal husbands' had.

Fate bought them together to finally realize that was a bigger story behind all that had happened. Mostly the book was about how they ran away from the clutches of the 'bad guys', with a lot of luck on their side la since the 'enemy' is someone very 'huge' in the industry. I mean, ade je cara dia to find those women, and ade je cara for the women to barely escape.

One thing I like about the book is the scientific facts that are described in such a simple way, you could really understand it. Sebabnya, some books just ramble on nonsense that we ourselves can see as fake, betul tak? But I guess, thats about that la.. the other things in the book are mostly expected (So I DO wonder why they call him the Master of The Unexpected?)

Even in the end, the widows were saved by, lets say, luck! It wasn't really their own effort that saved them in the end, rather that a stroke of luck of something that happened on the 'bad guys' side. Quite frustrating since most of the book was dedicated in showing how smart and quick acting these women were so why don't let them get the spot light jugak in the end?

Anyway, don't buy it, unless you're a Sidney Sheldon fan.. If you want to read it, just borrow my copy.

Rating: Hmm.. how about 2 stars and a half?

No comments: